Can I Still Volunteer?
The Government guidance on volunteering says:
- People must volunteer from home unless it is not reasonably possible to do so
- And if you are ‘clinically extremely vulnerable’ (high risk from coronavirus) you should only volunteer from home
You can only volunteer outside your home if:
- you are unable to volunteer from home
- you don’t need to self-isolate
- you follow social distancing guidance, or COVID-secure guidance if volunteering in a workplace
- and it has not been ordered to close. (So, for example you can’t volunteer in a charity shop because non-essential shops have to stay closed.)
If you do need to volunteer outside your home, you should:
- not enter other people’s homes unless it is absolutely necessary
- where possible, stay local – meaning avoiding travelling outside of their village, town or the part of a city where they live, unless absolutely necessary and follow the safer travel guidance
- wear face coverings as required by law
- make sure that wherever you are volunteering is COVID-secure in line with Government guidance for workplaces
- that you are kept safe and are insured for any volunteering activities
- volunteer while you are furloughed from your main job
- get coronavirus testing if you are volunteering as an essential worker. (For example, if your role is part of the local coronavirus response, in health or education.)
- send your children to school if your volunteering role is essential
I Want to Volunteer from Home
We only have a few opportunities for volunteering from home on our website at the moment, but more will be added over the coming weeks. To see what’s available go to the I Want to Volunteer page and tick Volunteer from Home under the Location heading on the right hand side of the page.
You might also want to look for charity trustee roles or Covid19 roles (again, tick the correct box on the right hand side of the page).
I Need Help
If you need some help with finding and applying for volunteering roles, or aren’t sure what you can or can’t do at the moment, please speak to our Volunteer Development Manager, Becky – email@example.com.
You can text/phone/WhatsApp her on 07776 588691.