About this opportunity
As a wheelchair skills support assistant you would be responsible for:
- Assisting the Wheelchair Skills and Independence Course Leader as required
- Assisting people attending the course ensuring that they experience is enjoyable, safe and value to their individual needs
- Working with people in groups or individually helping them to improve their independence skills, practical day to day living skills, setting personal goals and outcomes
- To be involved in both activities inside the unit and outside in the local community
- To learn wheelchair maintenance skills
- To abide by Experience Community policies and procedures in particular lone working, confidentiality, health and safety; and safe guarding of vulnerable adults
- To attend and take part in an induction process
- Attending occasional volunteer meetings and training sessions.
About the organisation
Experience Community is a Community Interest Company formed in 2011 and based in Huddersfield, West Yorkshire. They provide information and short films about access to the countryside for people with disabilities, in Kirklees and beyond into the wider Yorkshire area.
What are they looking for?
The main skill they need from their volunteer wheelchair skills support assistants is enthusiasm for helping disabled people improve their wheelchair skills so they can help themselves to get around more independently! They also love our volunteers to be:
- Friendly, welcoming and empowering with good communication skills.
- Observant and sensitive to the needs of others.
- Knowledgeable about the basics of the benefits of walking and physical activity.
- Reliable, punctual, honest and well-organised.
- Able to work independently but with guidance and support.
- Understanding of disabled peoples’ needs.