Volunteering can be a great way to be more active. Here are four ideas to get you started.
Become a Walk Leader
Walking groups bring people together to enjoy short free walks. If you enjoy walking why not have a go at leading or helping to lead a group?
- Womencentre are looking for walk volunteers contact Sobiya.firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kirklees Culture and Leisure Services offer a day’s training. Find out more here.
Click here to read an interesting short report on why ‘walking for health’ works.
Help out at Parkrun
Parkrun is a huge success story – every week volunteers organise free timed runs in public parks all over the world. They are a great place to start running and then keep going. It’s a warm and friendly atmosphere (even on a frosty morning) with runners of all abilities made very welcome. It doesn’t matter if you stop and walk! Join in or help out. To volunteer (or run) sign up on the website first:
- At Crow Nest Park, Dewsbury for adults on a Saturday and Sunday for juniors (4-14yrs)
- At Oakwell Hall, Batley for adults on a Saturday.
- At Tolson Memorial Museum, Ravensknowle Park, Huddersfield for juniors (4-14 yrs) on a Sunday
- And Greenhead Park, Huddersfield for adults on a Saturday.
Get into sports coaching
Enjoy sport? Why not help others to enjoy it too by getting involved as a coach? You can help people of all ages to benefit from an active lifestyle. For example Kirkheaton FC needs volunteers to help provide fun coaching sessions to children from 5 to 16. You can even get a Coaching Level 1 qualification (if you don’t have it). Email Charlie Mitchell via this website.
Get in touch with us to find out about other opportunities like helping young people with special needs to enjoy gymnastics or leading chair-based exercise sessions for older people.
On your bike
Streetbikes is an award-winning local organisation that helps get people of all ages into cycling. They are particularly in need of female volunteers to help with their women-only cycling session on Tuesdays at Spenborough running track from 9.00am to 11.30am. Bikes provided! Telephone Gill Greaves on 0787 377 3417 for more details.